Dear colleagues,

after all the invitations to exciting sessions at the upcoming GSA and AGU meetings, we would like to draw your attention to a possibility to publish the work you are most likely presenting there in a topical "special collection" in the MSA journal American Mineralogist. The concept is different from the classical special volume and has many advantages that makes a submission to the collection very attractive!

For those of you, who are not familiar with the concept of the MSA special collections, I will give you a short description on how this works:
Basically you submit your manuscript as usual via the Allentrack system of AmMin. During the submission process you have the option to assign your manuscript to the special collection. The review process will be the same as for all other manuscripts and papers are being published in regular AmMin issues as they are ready to go, so there is no delay in publication. The main difference is, that your paper will get an additional heading and footnote indicating that this contribution is part of the special collection. Therefore it will be also grouped in the table of contents together with other papers of the collection being published in the same issue. More important, and I think this is what makes it really interesting, all special collection papers are grouped electronically both on the AmMin and MSA website and in the most common search engines such as web of science. In other words, someone looking for a paper in the special collection will be also directed to your paper which enhances the visibility of your paper to the people of interest significantly. Thus, the collection is virtually growing over time.
The special collection stays open for 2-3 years and we hope that we can continuously get manuscripts being published during this period. Currently, there are several special collections ongoing for all different kinds of topics.

Interested in publishing in one of the special collections? Please visit http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/AmMin/Special_Section.html for more detailed information.

The special collection we would like to encourage you to submit the work that relates to transport processes is as follows:

Mechanisms, rates, and timescales of geochemical transport processes in the crust and mantle

We announce a special collection of American Mineralogist based on recent and forthcoming conference sessions on kinetically and transport controlled geochemical processes in the middle and lower crust and mantle.  Currently the element fluxes and timescales of atmospheric, sedimentary, and volcanic processes can be measured, but similar knowledge of mid-crustal to mantle processes remains elusive. We solicit papers on the description and quantitative interpretation of spatial patterns in mineral occurrence (especially metasomatic zoning), in mineral texture, and in the chemical and isotopic compositions of minerals that constrain the mechanisms (e.g., diffusion vs. advection), rates, and timescales of the controlling phenomena.  Contributions from field and experimental studies, as well as theory and modeling, are welcome.

The section will include both invited and contributed papers on the topic.  The Associate Editors for this special section are Thomas Mueller, Ralf Milke, and John Ferry.  Please use the subject area tag “Geochemical Transport” when submitting your paper via the Allentrack submission system and look for the special collection name in the drop down list.

We are looking forward to receive your submissions! Please do not hesitate to contact one of us in case you have any questions regarding the special collection!

Thomas Müller, Ralf Milke & John Ferry

Dr. Thomas Mueller
Juniorprofessor / Assistant Professor

Institute of Geology, Mineralogy & Geophysics
Ruhr-University Bochum
Universitätsstr. 150; Gebäude NA 03/586
D-44801 Bochum

Phone: +49 (234) 322-3522