Sent: 03 September 2013 13:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: iGCSEs

Mmmm....

We are about to  have a high-level discussion about the ‘worth’ of the IGCSE English.  If UCAS state that it should be recorded as a Level 2 Certificate (and the Cambridge spec 0522 states this is a Level 2 Certificate), does this mean that universities will NOT see it as a GCSE equivalent?  It will be a nightmare scenario for us if different unis/ institutions call it differently, especially if we are enrolling students onto a ‘GCSE English’ course and then giving them a Level 2 Certificate that is not recognised as an equivalent!

The 0522 spec is a recognised qualification as a Certificate, but the 0500 version (without the S & L element included in the final grade) is listed as an IGCSE but appears by inference NOT recognised as a UK listed qual, so does it contribute to league tables/ recognised outcomes?

Has anybody had more experience of this, or is this a developing situation?

Paul King

Exams Officer,

Leyton Sixth Form College

Tel: 020 8928 9135