Hello Loyal;
As a general role: any continuous variable can be categorical. When you enter the CIQ scores in any statistical software, you probably consider it a continuous variable as you are using numbers, but when you are reporting it, it could be in categorical manner (person who goes for shopping alone, person who goes for shopping with one person...etc),

Samia

Dr. Samia Alhabib, MD, PhD

From: Loyal Pattuwage <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 September 2013, 2:04
Subject: Synthesis of Community Integration Questionnaire (CIQ) scores

Hi all,
I am working on a systematic review on accommodation settings and one of the outcome of interest is the CIQ scores of three groups of patients. It appears that the CIQ scores are skewed based on the non-parametric methods used in the analysis of included papers.
I have a couple of issues here.
1.       1. Can the CIQ scores be considered as continuous data? From what I understand, it looks more like categorical. As an example, a zero is given for a person who does not go shopping, one is given if that person goes shopping with another person and two is given if that person can go shopping alone. Obviously, a person who could go shopping on his own may be more integrated to the community compared to a person who does not do that at all, but does that mean he is twice as good (at least for shopping) compared to a person who does shopping with another person?
2.       2. Is anyone aware of a systematic review that combined CIQ scores from different papers? If so, would you mind letting me know about it? It would be really helpful.
Thank you very much for your input, in advance.
Kind regards,
Loyal Pattuwage