~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Research Centre for Intermediality in Performance,
Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
University of London

Intermedial Shakespeare on European Stages
An International Symposium

To mark the culmination of a Marie Curie Fellowship at the RCSSD, Dr. Aneta Mancewicz has convened a one-day symposium, open to the public, to address the practice and theory of intermedial Shakespeare performance, with a particular focus on European theatre after 1989.

Schedule of the symposium:

9.30 - 10.00     Arrival. Tea and coffee

10.00 - 12.30   Panel A, chaired by Prof. Andy Lavender
10.00 - 10.30     Prof. Andy Lavender (Lightwork and University of Surrey)
10.30 - 11.00     Chiara Lagani (Fanny & Alexander, Ravenna)
11.00 - 11.30     Matt Adams (Blast Theory, Brighton)
11.30 - 12.30     Q&A

12.30 - 13.30    Lunch*

13.30 - 14.30    Presentation by Dr. Aneta Mancewicz on Intermedial Shakespeare
                        followed by Q&A

14.30- 17.30     Panel B chaired by Prof. Robin Nelson
14.30 - 15.00      Prof. Robin Nelson (RCSSD)
15.00 - 15.30      Prof. Chiel Kattenbelt (Utrecht University)

15.30 - 15.45    Tea

15.45 - 16.15      Prof. Peter Marx (University of Cologne)
16.15 - 16.45      Dr. P. A. Skantze (University of Roehampton)
16.45 - 17.30      Q&A

17.30                 Wine

*lunch options in the area include the RCSSD cafeteria, Swiss Cottage Farmers' Market, Hampstead Theatre, various cafes and restaurants on nearby Finchley Road.

The symposium will take place at RCSSD, 62-64 Eton Ave, London NW3 3HY (Swiss Cottage tube station, opposite to Hampstead Theatre).

In the last twenty years, new technologies have transformed theatre practice, leading to exchanges between digital and non-digital media in performance. This aspect of intermediality has been particularly influential in performances of Shakespeare in Europe, which may suggest that his plays lend themselves exceptionally well to digital treatments. This issue will be closely examined during the symposium.

Guiding questions might include:

  *   What features of Shakespearean drama are reinforced and redefined through intermedial practice?
  *   What new approaches to aesthetics and politics emerge through intermedial treatments of Shakespeare post-1990s?
  *   How does intermediality change our perception of Shakespeare?
  *   Is it still possible to identify "European Shakespeare" in a contemporary political context?

The event is sponsored by a Marie Curie Intra European Fellowship (EU FP7) and RCSSD's Research Centre for Theatre and Intermediality.

For further information, please contact Aneta Mancewicz at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
The symposium is free but booking is essential:  see Shakespeare<https://intermedialshakespeare.eventbrite.co.uk/>.

Notice of Confidentiality-

This email and its attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute them. Please contact the sender if you have received this email in error.

To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list