A FRIENDLY REMINDER: if you click REPLY to this email, you will be sending an email to over 2500 subscribers. Please do so only if you wish to respond to everyone.

CFP - Myth, Fantasy & Fairy Tales in Literature and the Arts

Saturday, 16 November 2013 - hosted at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge

Across disciplines, there are a multitude of theories addressing concepts of myth, fantasy and fairy tales, each offering specialized readings and enabling a plurality of interpretations. From recreations of Greek myths to retellings of Grimm’s fairy tales, fantastical stories are told and retold in various forms.

Myth, Fantasy & Fairy Tales in Literature and the Arts is a one-day cross-disciplinary conference seeking to explore the uses of mythic, fantastic, and fairy elements in literature and the arts (music, theatre, film, dance, photography, painting, sculpture, and interdisciplinary arts). We especially encourage research students and early career researchers to present and warmly invite proposals on the following themes (although contributors or by no means limited to these suggestions):

- Revision

- Intertextuality

- Performativity

- Narrative and/or Retellings

- Translation and/or Adaptation

- Transformation

- Embodiment

- Therapeutic Approaches

- Visual Expression

- Meaning-making

- Aesthetics

- Identity

- Intermediality

- Hybridity / mixed genres

- Representation of childhood

- Educational Practices

We also welcome submissions in formats other than an academic paper. We are interested in art exhibitions as well as musical, theatrical and physical performances.

We are delighted to have Jack Zipes (Leverhulme Visiting Professor) and Mike Wilson (Falmouth University) for an ‘in conversation’ discussion on the topic of new experiments in storytelling and the future of storytelling.

If you wish to participate in this event, please contact both Naz Yeni [[log in to unmask]] and Amy Crawford [[log in to unmask]] with the following information:

 for an academic paper, please submit abstracts of 250 words for 20 minute presentation along with a 100 word biography

 for a performance in another format, please submit a description of 250 words (time period of presentation will be determined by the material) along with a 100 word biography

Please include the phrase “Myth in the Arts” in your subject heading. The deadline for proposals is Friday, 6 September 2013. If you do not wish to present but would like to attend the conference, please email Naz and Amy to register.

Amy Crawford & Naz Yeni

______________ To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list ______________