A FRIENDLY REMINDER: if you click REPLY to this email, you will be sending an email to over 2500 subscribers. Please do so only if you wish to respond to everyone.

Dear Colleagues,

My new dance theatre company’s work, combining dance, text and live music will be performing at the below scratch night taking place at Yorkshire Dance, Leeds next Friday 4th October. The piece, Dysmorphic, is beginning to explore thoughts, feelings and attitudes relating to body image, partly inspired by the choreographer’s experiences relating to body dysmorphic disorder.

Lyrical Body’s work is characterised by a psychophysical approach combining fixed/scored/choreographed improvisations, truthful text, live music and a focus upon lyricality as the heart of a moving theatre performance.

Dysmorphic (excerpts from) by Lyrical Body Dance Theatre

Choreographer, Writer and Performer: James McNicholas

Performer: Kate Sicchio

Musician: James Pettinger

https://shuspace.shu.ac.uk/sessions/2/2/9/3/8/9/9/5/8/session/a8f2bdf3395b4e24b4a5fc30d19e9473/Dysmorphic%20Three.jpg

"Dysmorphic brings you into a direct confrontation with your thoughts, feelings and actions surrounding perceptions of your body. Bold imagery, dancing music and lyrical dance."

Dysmorphic is a piece of dance theatre attempting to bring its performers and audiences into a direct confrontation with how they think, feel and act in relation to their own perceptions of their own bodies. Through a creative collaboration between an ensemble of musicians and dancers, the work seeks to begin to express the current zeitgeist of body image-related issues in today's world, and somehow, choreograph it. The piece explores all parts of the body, relationships between rhythmic movement and emotion and the ways in which we often seem to perceive of our own body's image through the body of another. One hope of the work is that choreographer, musicians, dancers and audiences engaging with Dysmorphic will come out of the other side having a sharper awareness of why it is important to heal our relationship with our own body. What are your perceptions of your body and its image?

An excerpt from Dysmorphic will be performed at:

Bish Bash Bosh

Yorkshire Dance presents

FRIDAY FIRSTS #19: BISH BASH BOSH

Fri 4 Oct, 5.30pm – late
Admission free
LIMITED CAPACITY

As part of Light Night Leeds, Yorkshire Dance invites you to an extraordinary three-ring dance circus.

From 5.30pm, Yorkshire Dance’s building will be buzzing with performances by young people from across the city. There will be face painting, a synchronised hoola hoop workshop, Rotherham Boys’ company REBUZZ performing, stilt walkers and more. Families welcome!

From 7.30pm, the action moves to The Loft, our top-floor performance space, for a scratch-night of new works-in-progress by dance artists from around the region.

From 9.30pm, we cross to West Yorkshire Playhouse where, in the foyer and bar area, we’ll be presenting lots more new dance work from Yorkshire along with a DJ, a compere and the Light Night After-Party. Do come with us!

You’ll see performances by Yorkshire Dance Associate Artists 70/30 Split, Nathan Geering and Jordan Massarella Dance, as well as Carlos Pons Guerra’s DeNada Dance Theatre and many more, and a range of dance films by artists including Amy & Hannah Buckley.

____________________

Friday Firsts showcases new work by independent choreographers and dance companies working on the small scale.

Each evening has its own distinct theme, and will often be the first chance to see performances by the most promising dance makers from Yorkshire and beyond who seek to experiment, push dance as a form or find a new voice.

James McNicholas

Senior Lecturer in Performance | Admissions Tutor

SHU logo for email template.gif

Development and Society

Sheffield Hallam University

Owen 1130