From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Justin Spinney
Sent: 20 September 2013 11:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Avoiding blind spot accidents by reprogramming red light sequences?

You are right Frederik in that sense that if road users are 'incompatible' with each other, separation of one kind or other seems to be the way forward. This can be (1) spatially - i.e having infrastructure for cyclists; (2) temporally - i.e by having trucks deliver when there are the least number of cyclists around; or (3) temporally on a micro scale as you are suggesting - i.e that cyclists and HGVs inhabit the same space but are separated in when they move by the light sequence.

If authorities are unable or unwilling to do either of the first two then 3 would be the next best option as a number of people on this thread have pointed out. Why it isn't standard practice is interesting in itself as it would appear to be a relatively easy (and cheap) win whilst we are agitating for more fundamental changes to be made (i.e to vehicle design or cycle-specific infrastucture). Does anyone know of any research/ reasons why for example the UK hasn't adopted a left turn first policy for cyclists?