Hi Alastair,

since you mentioned it... In our article "On the analysis of residual density distribution on an absolute scale":
http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/CCN_2012_07.pdf
one of the conclusions was that we could not reproduce pronounced features on the solvent/macromolecule border shown in Matthews '09 paper.
If you look at Figure 2 the red curve is almost flat all the way and it is around zero. One thing to keep in mind that these are averaged distributions without specifically considering surface vs buried atoms. Individual per atom curves may be different.

Pavel