Dear BB,

We are still a bit confused about compatibility of graphics cards with 3D Coot/PyMol in Linux:

(a) In previous CCP4bb discussions, it was stated that only Quadro cards are compatible with Linux setups. But could someone tell me what the minimum standard really is: is it Quadro FX380, 2000, 3800 or something else ? The nVidia site lists Quadro 3700 and 3800 as the two lowest (cheapest) options compatible with Linux 3D. However, different CCP4ers have in the past mentioned the other two options as working "perfectly" or "with little trouble".

(b) If a monitor such as the ASUS VG278H , which has an in-built nVidia 3D vision emitter which takes its stereo synch from a DVI cable is used, can we even use the simpler GeForce GTX670 or 680 ?

As you might imagine, we are on a rather tight budget. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Emmanuel Saridakis

N.C.S.R. "DEMOKRITOS"
Athens 15 310 Greece
tel. +30-210-6503793