Hi Frank,

How long of an incubation period between structure, insight and application are you willing to accept?  Here are a few possibilities, leaning towards longer incubation times.

1. Structure of DNA -> necessary for understanding of replication, translation, sequencing, etc:  contributed tremendously to all of modern molecular biology and all of its contributions to public health.

2. Structure of MHC class I complexes with peptides (Pam Bjorkman with Don Wiley).  My immunologist friends tell me that seeing this structure suddenly clarified a lot of experimental data and was pivotal in the understanding of peptide antigen presentation, which is at the heart of modern vaccine development.

3. Structures of insulin -> development of insulin preparations with improved properties (e.g. engineered for quick-acting vs long-acting or mixture of the two).

Best wishes,

Randy

On 16 Sep 2013, at 14:23, Frank von Delft <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello, I need stuff for a lecture, so I figured I'd best crowd-source it from the best forum on the intertubes:
>
> Anybody know some examples of where structural biology threw up insight(s) that led to very significant practical improvements in some public health approach or industrial process or other non-research application -- ideally in the context of a developing nation/economy/society.  If they made someone rich, even better.
>
> Of particular interest are examples about:
> communicable diseases:  not only the big ones (TB, HIV, malaria), but also immunization, livestock, etc.
> food security:  better diet, food shelf life, crop yields, etc.
> green energy:     [preferably excluding so-called "biofuels", but I won't be picky]
> water reclamation:  purification, sewage treatment, etc.
> Specifically NOT of interest is structure-guided medicinal chemistry.
>
> (I have some examples, but presumably there are better ones.)
>

> Any scraps of info welcome:  journal reference, name of researcher/group, URL, news release, etc.   [Links to actual slides would be an unexpected bonus.]
>
> Thanks!
> phx

------
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research      Tel: + 44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                   Fax: + 44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk