A bit late to this thread.

1.
Juergen:   Jim was not actually adopting CC*, he was asking how to make practical use of it when faced with actual datasets fading into noise.  If I understand correctly from later responses, paired refinement is what K&D suggest should be best practice?

2.
I'm struck by how small the improvements in R/Rfree are in Diederichs & Karplus (ActaD 2013, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3689524/);  the authors don't discuss it, but what's current thinking on how to estimate the expected variation in R/Rfree - does the Tickle formalism (1998) still apply for ML with very weak data?

I'm puzzled by Table 4 (and discussion):  do I read correctly that discarding negative unique reflections led to higher CCwork/CCfree?  Wasn't the point of the paper that massaging data always shows up in worse refinement stats?  Is this a corner case, and how would one know?

Cheers
phx