Hi,

to add my thoughts I believe that what your friend is looking for is the
OryxNano from Douglas Instruments. We use it for screening, and it is a
really trouble free machine. The consumables are not expensive (plates
and sealing tape actually) and the price is rather low. I would think
that for small crystallization groups (like ours) is the best robot you
can buy if you have a small budget. I always thought that the posh
mosquito is for big academic labs or companies that can really afford
the rather large amount for consumables it requires.

best wishes

Demetres

On 4/9/2013 4:57 ??, Artem Evdokimov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The most rock-solid robotic screening platform in my experience has
> been the Mosquito. It has a supply spend of ~$2000/reel of tape which
> has ~27,000 tips on it so it's roughly 9-9 cents per tip - so per
> plate with thee proteins on it it's about 3 bucks depending on how you
> organize the set up.
>
> Not to say that other machines are bad, no - there are plenty of good
> instruments out there but in my opinion Mosquito has unbeatable
> combination of robust, repeatable set up, disposable tips and
> accuracy. In my career I've tried or owned about 90% of all devices
> out there (I guess that's the advantage of having several industrial
> positions in a row) and so I am fairly confident that this is not a
> biased comparison.
>
> Artem
>
> - Cosmic Cats approve of this message
>
> P.S. naturally I am not affiliated with TTP in any way. Caveat emptor.
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Jinyi Zhu <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear CCP4ers,
>
>     Sorry for the off topic question. A friend of mine is considering
>     purchasing a crystallization screening robot and would like to
>     know which one would suit his need best. His lab would use the
>     robot occasionally for screening and have a limited budget. He
>     also wants minimum supply purchases for the robot. Could you
>     kindly suggest some models? Thanks!
>
>     Btw, I have personally used Douglas OryX, ARI crystal Pheonix,
>     Mosquito and Hydra II-Edrop systems.
>
>     Best,
>
>     Jinyi

Dr. Demetres D. Leonidas
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry & Biotechnology
University of Thessaly
26 Ploutonos Str.
41221 Larissa, Greece
Tel. +302410 565278