Dear ECF Members,

The week of the 28th October we are holding our second Annual Online CV Clinic. The idea is to share our CVs with one another for comment and advice.

Last year ten people participated in the CV Clinic. Here is what they had to say about it:

"I have found this to be really useful exercise and have got lots of ideas for improving my own CV." Laurie

"Thanks for the comments on my CV. Looking at others has certainly suggested I've need a revamp, so thanks to the organisers for starting this project as it's really going to benefit me (and, I assume, others)." Dave

"Looking at someone else's CV has really given me an understanding of what people would be looking for in mine." Mark

How it works:

If you would like to participate, please email your CV to the Jiscmail group for comment by the 25th October. We ask that each person who contributes a CV, comments on at least two other CVs to ensure that at a minimum, each person gets feedback from one other person (any CVs missing feedback will be addressed by the convenors). Your responses should be sent to the group as a whole, with "RE. Joanna Doe's CV" written in the subject line (or whoever's CV it is). If you prefer to receive private feedback, please indicate this in your initial email.

Please be supportive in your feedback - pointing out both the good and the 'could be improved'. The advice should be confined to the actual CV - i.e. the point is not to critique someone's educational/career achievements, though specific training/courses/jobs etc. which might be useful to the member could be suggested. Please give your feedback by the 1st November (i.e. within the CV Clinic week).

If you are happy to have someone move things around and inserting comments into your CV, send it in Word format. If not, send as a PDF. If you are unable to convert, please send to one of the convenors who will be happy to convert your CV to a PDF for you.

Some basic info on CVs to get you started:

http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/1373/Academic%20CVs.html

Let us know if you have any questions/comments.

Best wishes,

Katherine, Mark and Andrea

Dr Katherine Twamley
John Adams Research Fellow
Social Science Research Unit
Institute of Education, University of London
18 Woburn Square
London  WC1H 0NR

tel: +44 (0)207 612 5333
fax: +44 (0)207 612 6400