From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Suchitra Chatterjee
Sent: 12 September 2013 00:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Project on BME Police Officers in the UK since the 1800s

Hi

Appreciate you replying!

 This is a really rough first draft so it will need a lot of tweaking and firming up in the language department. Many apologies.

I will put together a generic email for the various BPA's to see if the can help, that is a good idea.

I want to be consistent language wise but it is a mine field.  I am mixed race of Asian descent on my Dad's side.  I also grew up in the Caribbean, I call myself Black but I often get flak for that from various people!

What does everyone think should be the best terminology to use in this project I am doing so it is consistent but takes into account diversity?  For example I would like to find out, if possible and where it is applicable who was the first Chinese, Gypsy/Roma, Jewish, Muslim, Police Officers in the UK.  A tall order I suspect.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Suchi

Sent from my iPad