Thanks for the offer of a reading list, I think that would be great.

I find Morel's position in 1920 very interesting. On the one hand his
critique of the League of Nations provides a context for what Garvey was
advocating.

On the other hand I would like to learn more about his attitude to German
Social Democracy. His intervention in the Daily Herald happened at a time
when the German Social Democratic politicians were using the proto-fascist
Freikorps to suppress a workers revolution in the Rur.

When McKay started writing for Workers Dreadnought, this paper was aligned
with the Communist Workers Party of Germany (KAPD) an anti-Bolshevik
communist group which played a key role in the Ruhr uprising. (McKay's
subsequent political career does not indicate any particular adherence to
this viewpoint.)

Also worth noting is that Blaise Diagne, the Senegalese representative in
the French Chamber of Deputies, was not only a firm advocate of the
recruitment of African soldiers in the French Army which Morel so
vigorously condemns, but also attended the 1919 Pan African Conference.

In light of the preparations for the series of centenaries related to the
First World War, I think it would be very useful to find ways of drawing
these connections together.

all the best

Fabian

> [...]
> Trinidad-born London Dr John Alcindor's response to the alleged 'horror of
> the Rhine' was published on 2 July 1922.
>
> Then (as now) the voice of black Londoners was heard. That historians
> concentrate on the white left wingers has not helped us understand this.
> To think of the Congo as a Belgian colony before 1908 is also a serious
> misunderstanding. It is a complex matter.
>
> I have more than a shelf of books on Leopold's Congo, including two
> biographies of Leopold, Morel's autobiography, an original Red Rubber and
> two biographies of Casement so anyone wanting a reading list just needs to
> ask!
>
> Jeff Green

> Message Received: Sep 16 2013, 09:32 AM
> From: "Fabian Tompsett"
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: White King, Red Rubber, Black Death
>
> Another book by Morel is "The Black Man's Burden",
>
> http://ia600307.us.archive.org/18/items/blackmansburden00moreuoft/blackmansburden00moreuoft.pdf
>
> This was published in 1920, and here Morel offers a broader overview Of
> Africa, post World War I.
>
> Morel was noted for his contribution to the racist furore about the use of
> African soldiers in Germany in 1920, shortly after this book was
> completed.
>
> See page 219 where he discusses the use of African troops:
>
> "During the Great War of 1914-18, the French have used hundreds of
> thousands of North and West African troops on the Western and Macedonian
> Fronts. They quartered a large number of West African troops in Morocco.
> They occupied the enemy consulates of Greece with these black troops. They
> have employed them in Russia. They actually garrison German towns with
> them. The atrocities perpetrated by these savage auxiliaries on the
> Western front are known to every soldier. They have been found in
> possession of eyeballs, fingers and heads of Germans in their haversacks.
> Mr Chesterton's pious hope of seeing 'Asiatics and Africans on the verge
> of savagery,' let loose against the Germans has been more than fulfilled."
>
> It was the publication of his racist condemnation of the use of African
> soldiers by the French in George Lansbury's paper, The Herald that led to
> Claude McKay's response in The Workers' Dreadnought.
>
> This book makes it easier to understand Morel's viewpoint, and how the man
> who exposed the Belgian atrocities came to participate in a racist
> campaign against African soldiers.
>
> Fabian
>
>> Hi Amma
>>
>> Thx for that and BTW you can download a full version of Morel's book
>> "Red
>> Rubber" which exposed
>> Leopolod's atrocities to Europe
>> here
>> .
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> Michael Ohajuru
>> 079 40 50 79 00
>>

>> On 15 September 2013 20:40, Amma Poku wrote:

>>> for taking the Congo on as colony, in face of the atrocities he
>>> committed