The end product of interest was the iron, even if this was not the original
intent.  I will have to try do figure out where I read about very early use
of pyritic ore for iron.

Bart Torbert

From: Arch-Metals Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Prof. Noel H Gale
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pyritic Iron Ore

I agree with Peter and Thilo but I note that the query was about "ancient
smelting processes for pyritic iron ore", without

specifying what end product was of interest. If the emphasis is on ancient
smelting processes, then there are of course the

references in De Re Metallica, 399 and 401, to smelting pyrites for gold and
silver (the page references are to the Dover

reprint of Agricola); the same work refers on p 578 to the use of pyrites in
making vitriol. Though not involving smelting, the

production of vitriol by water dripping through the Cypriot pyrite deposits
was described much earlier by Discorides, Pliny

the Elder and Galen.