Dear list,

A very good online example of older techniques is Jean Mabillon's impressive De re diplomatica (1681), at <http://x0b.de/mabillon/>. Imagine if scholars today were required to produce something like <http://x0b.de/mabillon/image_open.php?no=411&idx=9> by hand!

Andrew Dunning
PhD Candidate, Collaborative Program in Editing Medieval Texts
Centre for Medieval Studies
University of Toronto