Dear all

I would like to use state-based agents (finite state machines) for investigating changes in social norms over time. As an example I have chosen to build an object oriented agent based version of the public-goods game (modelling cooperators and free-rider as agents - i.e. learning entities). The specific application we are trying to model will be the life in a shared house (as I have plenty of experience with this). Does anyone know of examples where state-based agent models have been used for investigating social norms?

Please note that I am a computer scientist and not an expert in economy or psychology. So if the above does not make any sense, or if I used the wrong terminology, please also get in touch and let me know. The whole is part of the initiative "Game Theory meets Object Oriented Simulation" (http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~pos/gtmssig/) where we discuss how to use games (lab experiments) as a data collection tool or as a mechanism to inform/support modelling the decision making of actors in object oriented social or socio-technical system simulation models and how the simulation results can be used to cross-validate game results.

Many thanks for your tips!

Regards
Peer