Hello,

My own experience working on RDM at the London School of Economics echoes a lot of this as well. I would also add;

*	Every institution will have to tailor RDM to fit with its organisational structure of how IT, Library, research support and research governance work together,

*	A key role for dedicated staff (ie data librarians, data managers or whatever) is to focus on promoting RDM to research active staff at grass roots level through training and advocacy,

*	Such staff will also need to ensure RDM guidance and structure remain responsive to the needs of research staff and current research practice  - which of course may vary widely according to disciplines,

*	Evolution of RDM from an IT 'technical' service to library based 'research support' has also been important (and is a common feature). At LSE it is one way of centralising support and provision for research which until now has 	been mainly decentralised within departments or across a variety of support units,

*	This centralisation also aims to ensure consistency of approach within the particular framework of the institution,

*	Comments about the emerging language (and varying job titles!) to describe those of us doing this work is also illustrative of the changes taking place

*	The emergence of OA has in some ways replaced arguments about secondary usage and preservation of data as one of the main drivers of RDM. This is important because it puts the emphasis on support at an institutional level
	rather than from agencies or national archives such as the DCC, JISC or UKDA - although their role will remain vital of course,

Finally, as part of the RDM at the LSE we have just appointed a project manager to further develop an appropriate data management infrastructure. Something which will sit alongside the orientation and training work I'm engaged in. Part of the process of project-to-service work that Sebastian has noted,

John Southall

Data Librarian,
Research Support | Library Services,
The London School of Economics and Political Science,
10 Portugal Street | London | WC2A 2HD

T: 020 7955 6755
E: [log in to unmask]

Digital Developments: http://lselibrarydigidev.blogspot.co.uk/