 From: Xtra <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: Researching Our Own Practice

Hi Cynthia

I am glad that the article resonated with you. As I may have said, it is always tricky recommending articles when you don't know the recipients' current situation (or political beliefs!) Giroux has always been pretty radical, and it's interesting that you may have studied at the same time that he did.

I do get concerned about the way that a lot of political consciousness-raising happened 'in my day' (i.e., going to university for the first time in the late 60s-early 70s) but seems to have lapsed with students currently. I think we had much more leisure to put energy elsewhere. In New Zealand when I studied, you could get a fees and allowances bursary that let you concentrate on your studies without needing to do much part-time work, hence freeing up some energy. But it seems to me these days, with high student fees and the bursaries not being freely available, many of our students have their noses to the grindstone all the time, in one way or another. It diminishes the time and energy they have to develop understanding of wider political influences on education and society, and allows the current iniquitous situation to go relatively unchallenged, except perhaps by the teacher unions.

Enough gloom for today, it's a lovely spring day here in New Zealand and there's always hope for tomorrow!

Warm regards

Pip

On 28/08/2013, at 4:11 AM, cynthia cozette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

8-27-13
>Dear Helen and Pip:
>Helen please e-mail us your new website. Your new venture sounds exciting.
>Pip thank you for mentioning the essay by Henry Giroux "The War Against Teachers as
>Public Intellectuals during Dark Times."
>I found the  article to be very truthful concernng the teacher's vulnerable position in modern
>times and passed the article along to my other teacher colleagues in Philadelphia.
>Just an aside, Henry Giroux graduated with his Ph.D. from Carnegie Mellon University
>in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA in 1977.
>I graduated from Carnegie-Mellon University in 1975 with a BFA in Music.
>I would have to check his dates of attendance to find out if we possibly crossed paths.
>I did live in the graduate student dorms for 1 year because the undergraduate dorms were full.
>I believe his dissertation is titled "The Mouse That Roared" where he analyzed the affect of the
>Disney corportation on parent and children's worldview.
>Cynthia
>

>________________________________

1st Sept, to coincide with the school opening, I think the previous link I sent
will still work, if not I will send a new one.
>The more ‘hits’ the better and thank you for your message!
>Helen

encountered by folk on the list, most recently Cynthia. I couldn't even begin to
imagine how to counter what Cynthia's up against, although I'd shared a rather
passionate and controversial essay by Henry Giroux (google "The War Against
Teachers as Public Intellectuals in Dark Times" if interested - it's on a
US-based site called 'truth-out'.)

>What I really liked in Helen's post is the perceptive observation of ways
to circumvent the restrictions of the local council, by identifying
possibilities for government funding at national level, and then putting so much
time and energy into making a new reality. I wish you and your team all the best
in this Helen! As this is a 'public' list I hope you don't mind, but I shared a
little of your story on the HETL Linked-In group by way of encouraging folk to
look for similar possibilities in their own situations. You might find a raft of
hits on the Swanage website!

>Having said that, a caution: I used to be Research Manager for a Maori
university that did just this. Te Wananga o Aotearoa was so effective in
attracting students who'd not experienced prior educational success, and
enrolling and graduating (in the main) them through programmes, that they blew
the government's budget for such work. Instead of congratulating them for their
tremendous work, the then government took an axe to them. Under the guise of
criticism for financial mismanagement and/or nepotism and/or shonky quality
standards - largely without foundation, as subsequent inquiries showed - they
succeeded in slowing the institution's progress and forcing them under Crown
management for a number of years. I'm not even sure they're free of it yet. So
yes, the possibilities for 'alternative' thinking exist and can be very
successful, but one must always be alert for attempts to constrain or mould the
creative work of such organisations.

>Warm regards
>
>Pip
>
>On 19/08/2013, at 8:54 PM, Helen O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>>
>>My name is Helen and I live in Swanage, Dorset, in the UK. Where I live  is a beautiful place, a natural World Heritage site, the Isle of
Purbeck.
>>I follow these threads from time to time but have not contributed before.  However, I felt that you might find the situation I am in interesting, in  light of some of the comments made by other contributors in this  conversation.
>>
>>I am a teacher, mother of three daughters and active member of the  community. For the last four years I have been vice-chair of a community group  called Education Swanage. The group was originally established to campaign  against the closure of the local Middle School, which was the only provision  of secondary education within 10 miles of our town. Swanage is situated on a  peninsula and is often overlooked in terms of community facilities, so when  Dorset County Council reviewed education and decided to close the school, a  group of us felt that we had to protest, hence Education Swanage was  formed.
>>
>>Unfortunately our campaign failed and the school closed in July. However,  there is a happy ending as from 2010 Education Swanage transformed from a  campaign group into a project group and we proposed to open our own school..  Coincidentally (and controversially) the newly elected coalition government  introduced a ‘free school’ policy just at the time when Education Swanage’s  campaign to save the middle school failed. The free school policy enabled  proposer groups to put forward plans to open new schools, free of county  council control and funded by the government. Although this policy did not sit  comfortably with my own political perspective, I knew that it was a lifeline  for us in the context we were in. We spent hours and hours of our time, all  working as volunteers, (alongside our day jobs and family commitments) to  propose a new secondary ‘free’ school for Swanage. We were successful as in  October 2010 we heard that our free
 school plans had been accepted.

>>Since then we have been working towards opening The Swanage School – our  doors open in temporary accommodation in September! At the same time our brand  new building, on the site of the closed middle school (it is a long story for  me to tell you how we secured that site!) is being built. See this link for  more information about the school www.http://www.educationswanage.co.uk/
>>
>>Our school is going to be small, but a little gem which will transform  the lives of our children and the vibrancy of our town. It will have a human  scale ethos as we are partnered by the Human Scale Education Movement who are  working to promote relationships and smaller school communities as the  springboard for effective learning, see this link for more information about  human scale education and its director James Wetz http://www.hse.org.uk/hse/
>>
>>There is a lot more I could say, but I don’t want to keep you! I just  wanted to try and say that it is possible, despite the odds, to make  transformations happen and change the communities in which we live, whilst  growing and developing ourselves and building positive relationships with  others in the process.
>>
>>Finally, I am studying for a professional doctorate in practical theology  with the Cambridge Theological Federation, accredited through Anglia Ruskin  University.
>>My research focuses on how the values of Education Swanage have  influenced the founding of the new school. I am using a living theory  methodology (with helpful advice from Jack Whitehead) with insights from  practical theology as a critical tool.
>>Although I am agnostic I have a deep interest in theology. Practical  theology enables me to explore how values are central in giving meaning and  significance to our lives (in a sense they are ‘sacred’ – see the work of  Ruard Ganzevoort http://www.ia-pt.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/presidentialaddress2009.pdf).  Values evoke awe and passion and lead us to take action. My research is  theological in the sense that I am speaking about how, as members of our  little community in Dorset, we are ‘tracing’ a sacred path by creating a  ‘living educational theory’ – an explanation of how our values are significant  and meaningful in influencing and inspiring us to transform the way we live  and the communities we live in.
>>
>>I do hope some of this makes sense, please do let me know if you have any  questions or would like to have a further conversation about any of
this.
>>Best wishes,
>>Helen O’Connor

 hours  etc. which means almost no time for teacher collaboration.

>>How do I improve  my practice in world of education that has developed into chaos?
>>Suggestions are  welcomed.
>>Cynthia Cozette  Lee, Ed.D.
>>Middle School Teacher –  Philadelphia , Pennsylvania USA
>>

>>________________________________

  PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER <[log in to unmask]>
>>Sent:
  Sun, 18 Aug 2013 9:57
>>Subject: Re: Researching Our Own Practice
>>

>>Dear Aga
>>Your passionate commitment to sustainable development shines  through what you write.; as does your frustration that it is such a ‘big task’  , and there is apparently little sign of progress.
>>You say:  “The challenge here is ‘What I want to transform?’  this is a question that needs extensive and substantial knowledge of  sustainable development before we start exploring it”.
>>I would like to suggest that the answer to ‘what do I want to  transform?”  would produce many different answers from many different  people; and that each of these responses may be equally valid.  My  interest, similar to Sara’s I think, is the process of transformation  itself.  And I think here the key word is ‘process’.     For me, there is a spiritual dimension to this  – by ‘spiritual’, I am  not talking about anything specifically religious, but I do think that  everyone can access a source of wisdom deep within themselves, if they give  themselves the time,  space and stillness to connect with that.   Within that context, I then think it is important for people to be ‘true to  themselves’;   with the important proviso of course, that in being  true to themselves, they are not acting in a way that prevents any other  person also being true to themselves; indeed I would hope that they would be  encouraging others to
 do the same.  This, I would suggest, is the kind of  ‘ethos’ we need for transformative practice.
> [...]
>>Andy Henon wrote:
>>“I  believe that provided an individual is empowered to make informed choices and  is aware of alternatives beyond whatever educational models, systems and  authoritative views they are exposed to, thriving societies can prevail……. It  is not the end objective that matters, it is the process, the journey, the  ever changing world of knowledge creation?   Living and sharing of  life?”
>>This  for me is another way of describing the nature of the process I am trying to  describe.
>>The  important thing here for you, Aga, is that you do what you can to develop your  own knowledge of sustainable development.  Perhaps the next stage then is  thinking about how you can bring together a few people with a similar interest  in a group to engage in a co-operative inquiry, with an agreed question that  you are all interested in following?  You could do this by inviting  people who live close to you who can meet in person; or you could set up an  internet-based inquiry.  The increasingly sophisticated advances in  technology make all kinds of global connections and explorations possible –  and they are increasing in number and kind.  Even Facebook pages are  being used as a means of people sharing together the kinds of things they see  as important for making a positive difference in the world.
>>Jack  Whitehead’s idea of ‘living theory’ is indeed a good method for those  interested in engaging in a transformative process, and researching their  practice in ways that have transformative outcomes; the many living theory  theses on his website are testimony to that. However there are also other ways  of thinking about and researching the process of connecting individual  transformation and global transformation.  In 2001, I organised a  conference New Paradigms in Education: Values, Relationships,  Transformation, and even at that time, people were sharing transformative  experiences, and the processes that had led to them.  The core challenge  now, I think, is how to connect the growing number of individuals and groups  who can relate to this idea of ‘transformation starting with self’, and  research ways in which we can get beyond the specific language and ideas we  each promote in our own worlds, to agree shared objectives, and
 work more  effectively together to achieve global change.
>>It  is a long, arduous journey and requires much patience, and an acceptance of  whatever transpires as a result.   The Buddhist philosophy includes  the idea of ‘non-attachment to outcomes’, and I try to keep that in mind, hard  though it is.
>>Best  wishes,
>>Joan
>>

>>On 18 August 2013 05:16, aga yamin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>Dear Joana, Sara and All
>>>Joana:Thanks for  producing excellent acount. You commeneted: The big question is, what kind of research do we need ….. I  would suggest that what is required is a transformation of thinking and  action
>>>
>>>Transformation is big word and requires extensive understanding  of current situation before we transform into a desired scenario.
>>>
>>>I think Jack Whitehead’ living theory philosophy &  research method are good enough to transform current practices into desired  practices.  It focuses on “values” and the question such  as “How do I improve my  practice?”  Or more elaborately, “How  do I improve what I am doing for personal and social benefit? Both  questions itself are directly leading towards Transformation. Our values  drive the research and the research process.
>>>
>>>One can use any authenticated qualitative or quantitative  methods or philosophies. The challenge here is “What I want to transform?”  this is a question that needs extensive and substantial knowledge of  sustainable development before we start exploring it.
>>>
>>>We all depend on one biosphere for sustaining our lives.  Yet each community, each country, strives for survival and prosperity with  little regard for its impact on others. Some consume the Earth's resources  at a rate that would leave little for future generations. Others, many more  in number, consume far too little and live with the prospect of hunger,  squalor, disease, early death, social & economic inequalities.
>>>
>>>Sara: For institute of Transformations: what are you  planning to tansform?
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Aga

    and inspired simply by the question of how 'transformation one person at a
    time can become transformation one group at a time'. Oddly enough, I've been
    working on developing and launching an 'Institute for Transformational
    Studies' with a lot of input and insight from David Adams, who I believe is
    also on this list, and the support of a couple of stateside colleagues. The
    mechanics of transformation amaze and humble me and, from my own experience,
    there is no doubt that this world shifting process is founded in what you
    describe as those "fluid interconnections" between human beings.
>>>Much
    love

    Walton" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

>>>Dear Lawrence,
    Aga and All

>>>It is interesting to me that the subject of this email
    chain is ‘researching our own practice’; and there is a return to the
    subject of research when Aga says:  “We need to research how can we
    integrate human ethics, economic, environmental and social factors into our
    curriculums and how can we teach from parents and professionals (who missed
    out sustainable education) to present and new generations to eliminate
    inequalities and create sustainable growths to prolong earth
    resources.”

>>>The big question is, what kind of research do we need if
    we are to address these and other questions that so urgently need addressing
    if we are to deal with the many crises that currently threaten human
    wellbeing, and possibly human existence?

>>>I would suggest that what is
    required is a transformation of thinking and action if the kind of elitism
    described by Lawrence, and the worldview that supports it, is to be
    eradicated, and replaced by a more equitable society.  However
    history  shows us that there is no ‘objectively designed’ structure or
    system than in itself will create such change. A recent colloquium at
    Liverpool Hope University entitled ‘Researching Our Own Practice’  was
    organised on the principle that the world will only be transformed one
    person at a time; that each of us can only change ourselves, not others; and
    that each person, through taking responsibility for researching their
    life and practice,  can through their own transformative experiences
    and learning, make a contribution to the global transformation that is
    required.

>>>I too like Ken Wilber’s Integral Theory, but I think we are
    each are influenced in very different ways by different theories, world
    views and life experiences, and we each need to find our own way, and our
    own influences,  in working out what we want to be and what we want to
    do.  What is important, I suggest, is how each of us create our own
    unique ways of connecting our inner lives – (worldview, values, spiritual
    influences, feelings, etc ) – to action that makes some kind of contribution
    to addressing the kind of  global crises identified by Aga, albeit at a
    local level.

>>>We then need to explore how  we can work together,
    i. e. research through  a ‘co-operative inquiry’, to discover how the
    learning and knowledge that each of us develop in our own unique and
    creative ways, can be shared with others in a systematic way that is of
    mutual benefit.  My experience of co-operative inquiry is that it not
    only allows me to share my experience, but in listening deeply to each
    other, there is a transformational shift in our understanding of ourselves
    as well as of others.  The ‘shift in consciousness’ created through
    this process really can be significant.  How then to ‘upscale’ further,
    so that that group learning can have wider influence?

>>>I do not know
    the answer to this.  I think in ‘researching our own practice’, we
    need  to connect the transformative experiences an individual has (we
    know quite a lot about different ways in which that can happen), with
    transformation at a global level.  Transformation one person at a time
    needs to become transformation one group at a time, perhaps with the
    intention that these groups become  bigger in size.  We then need
    to discover ways in which such groups can connect with others having similar
    values and global intentions (albeit having got to where they are using
    different starting points and methods).  I know many people, from many
    diverse backgrounds and interests,  who believe that if we can discover
    how to achieve this, we will reach some kind of ‘tipping point’, which will
    result in  sufficient numbers of people whose commitment  to (for
    example) “eliminate inequalities and create sustainable growths to prolong
    earth resources”  is so strong that national / global structures will
    be changed to enable that to happen.

>>>In other words, when
    ‘researching our own practice’, I think we need to be researching the
    processes that will facilitate the dynamic process of creating fluid
    interconnections between individual ‘journeys’  and a global ‘shift
    ’.

    Lawrence Martin Olivier <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>Hi Aga

    totally agree with these ideas. I find Ken Wilber's Integral Theory/
    Paradigm (his integral map / 4 perspectives / 2 paths objective and
    subjective / individual and collective etc.) a useful pedagogical tool to
    address the kind of holistic curriculum you are suggesting. It is possible
    and not that difficult, to include an Integral holistic approach in the
    teaching of any Discipline / Subject / Field. I make wide use of "Integral
    holistic thinking" in my training of Tutors from all Disciplines.The New
    Economics Foundation (UK) for example, view the science of Economics from a
    perspective that "people and planet matters" - not just economic growth in
    the GDP!!

>>>Lawrence
>>>________________________________
    Practitioner-Researcher [[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>] on behalf of  aga yamin [[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>]
>>>Sent: 17 August 2013 12:10
    PM

>>>To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re:
    Researching Our Own Practice

>>>Dear Lawrence
>>>
>>>Discussions and
    practices on ethnicity, religion, colour etc.  indicate, we are far
    behind from a civilised sustainable society. The society where human
    equality is intrinsic and genetic and people are focusing: how to revive
    planet resources, enhance economic, social and environmental growths to
    enjoy the benefits of exceptionally literate, civil and a harmonised
    society. We need to research how can we integrate human ethics, economic,
    environmental and social factors into our curriculums and how can we teach
    from parents and professionals ( who missed out sustainable education)
    to present and new generations to eliminate inequalities and create
    sustainable growths
>>>to prolong earth resources. We need to redefine
    learning & development to create sustainable
    education.

>>>Aga
    Saturday, 17 August 2013, 6:57
>>>Subject: Re: Researching Our Own
    Practice

>>>Hi Aga
>>>
>>>After making my  earlier comments I read
    a report in my local newspaper about a Headmaster of one of our elite
    schools arguing that his elite school should "be proud of their elite
    status". I find this a concern and a problem in my South African
    post-apartheid society (apartheid was abolished in 1994) where currently
    "the top 20%, 10 million people receive 75% of total income, 3,7 million are
    white and 6,3 million are black"! The Headmaster goes on to say "we need top
    class schools ....  they are beacons of light  ...  private
    schools are producing top mathematicians and scientists and had past pupils
    who were contributing tangibly to the country's GDP"! He makes no mention of
    the massive inequality going on in his own society and in the global society
    or that continually expanding the GDP in the ways we are doing is not
    sustainable on one planet!  - these kinds of elite schools are surely
    not "beacons of light"!!

>>>Lawrence
    PM
>>>To: PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL..AC.UK<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re:
    Researching Our Own Practice

>>>Dear Angela / Shelagh / Lawrence and
    All
>>>Angela: Thanks for your response. True. It is a complex question. I
    do agree with you that ownership & responsibility play a crucial role in
    the success of learning & development. In e-learning or self-directed
    leanings, people do take the responsibilities of their own
    learning.
>>>However,  “Empathising” with learner,  directly
    contributes in designing and executing a learning process. Perhaps if you
    recall your own experience of formal learning from the age of 3 to date, At
    what stage, you started to take the ownership and responsibility of your own
    learning.  At what stage, you developed passion for every single
    subject, sense of responsibility, sufficient level of maturity and motives
    to achieve something that derived you to take the ownership and
    responsibility of your own learning?
>>>Since all learners are individuals,
    hence a wide range of learning strategies are employed, tested and
    experimented such as “Learner-focused or learner-centred” learning or
    “Differential learning” or routinely considering individual’s learning style
    in teaching & learning activities, with or without the expectations that
    learners will take the responsibilities of their own learning.
>>>Success is
    the accomplishment of one's goals. Development is a stage of a change
    process. In other words, success is the outcome and development is the
    process of achieving outcome.. Perhaos both are not
    interchangeable.
>>>Shelagh. Thanks for your email: You raised many
    important and interesting questions. You commented: As educators, do we have
    a compulsion to 'fill empty vessels' with what we 'need' our students to
    learn?
>>>Answer is “Yes”. A three-year old does not wish to learn numbers
    “1,2,3,4,5,6” etc. Should we leave vessel empty?
>>>You commented: How much
    of the learning is intrinsic and how much extrinsic?
>>>As a general rule, A
    successful learning contains both elements equally. For example: if I have
    an intrinsic desire to learn a chemical equation, I will passionately
    explore: how to do it (Intrinsic). If information is available online
    or my teachers 100% persuade me (Extrinsic) to learn chemical equation, I
    will learn effectively.
>>>You commented: Do we use a wide range of student
    centred learning methods to engage and motivate each student?
>>>I am sure
    many tutors are doing it. A survey perhaps is required to assess the success
    rate. If a success rate is exceptionally higher, it means it is an
    outstanding method.
>>>You commented: How much do we value the 'process' of
    learning, giving time and attention to the 'journey'?
>>>Value is
    independent to time and attention.  Values do not allow us to
    compromise.
>>>You commented: How much do systems, targets and assessments
    encourage us as educators to focus our attention entirely on the outcome or
    product to judge 'development'?
>>>Systems, targets and assessments are to
    regulate consistency and fairness. They do not interfere “ the way we employ
    learning & developmental activities”.  That's why  league
    tables tell us, who applied the right approaches in managing the learning
    process within the given systems, targets and assessments.
>>>You commented:
    I am terrified that going to school may 'knock this out' of them.
    Isn't that a terrible fear?
>>>Initial assessment plays its role here.
    A school teacher must hold the abilities to conduct initial assessment to
    differentiate learners and develop an appropriate learning &
    developmental strategies. I think, rather than fear, this is an opportunity
    for you children to be assessed externally and classified as the children
    with innate abilities to learn and develop. This is also an opportunity for
    educators to prepare children with exceptional innate abilities to produce
    leading results

>>>Lawrence: I do agree with you that two key factors
    count i.e. social status of a teacher and education level to gain success in
    learning & development.
>>>No doubt, Finland is at the top of the
    schools’ league tables especially in Maths and science across the world. We
    need to see its impact on Finland’s scientific development, economic growth,
    environmental growth, social growth, employment rate and so on. Is Finland
    leading the world in all these parameters?  If answer is yes than it
    means learning & development is taking place in Finland
    effectively.
>>>Regards
>>>Aga

    Wednesday, 14 August 2013, 8:25
>>>Subject: Re: Researching Our Own
    Practice

>>>Pleased to meet you
    Angela

>>>Shelagh
>>>

>>>Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:26:45
    +0000
>>>From: Jamesa1@UKZN.AC..ZA<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re: Researching Our Own
    Practice
>>>To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>>
>>>Angela
    James, University of KwaZulu-Natal , Durban, South Africa.

    Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>] On Behalf Of  Shelagh Hetreed
>>>Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:22 AM
>>>To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re:
    Researching Our Own Practice

>>>Dear Aga and Angela,
>>>
>>>As many of
    us do not know each other, could we just maybe add to our communication
    where in the world that we are?  Thank you.

>>>I am Shelagh and I
    am in Bath UK.

>>>1. My grandson is 3 years old. He learns huge amounts
    every day.  He does this freely, without coercion, praise or
    reward.  I would describe this as intrinsic motivation.  When his
    mother wants to teach him something, he often resists, focusing on the
    aspect that he wants to learn instead.

>>>As educators, do we have a
    compulsion to 'fill empty vessels' with what we 'need' our students to
    learn?
>>>Do we use a wide range of student centered learning methods to
    engage and motivate each student?
>>>How much do we value the 'process' of
    learning, giving time and attention to the 'journey'?
>>>How much do
    systems, targets and assessments encourage us as educators to focus our
    attention entirely on the outcome or product to judge
    'development'?

>>>2. Angela, changing the term 'development' to
    'success':
>>>I would add that perhaps we need to know what our criteria for
    success is before we start, otherwise, we may consider that we/ the student
    has failed when actually, their success has just not reached our
    criteria.

>>>3. An example: When learning to ride a bike, there are so
    many criteria to be met- balancing on a saddle, steering direction with the
    handle bars, co-ordinating our legs and feet to turn the pedals (in one
    direction only), co-ordinating our arms and hands to use the breaks... etc..
    etc. you get the picture.
>>>Each step along the way is progress/
    development/ success.

>>>So what is our ambition for the new
    cyclist?  Staying upright while moving forward, cycling safely along a
    lane, busy roads, city traffic, racing, off road mountain biking, the
    Olympics in Rio?

>>>Where was the learning and the development in this
    example?  How much of the learning is intrinsic and how much
    extrinsic?  Of course formal learning isn't like that- but perhaps
    focusing on the incremental stages that are necessary for any learning to
    take place and analysing where there may be a barrier to further
    development, will help us seek alternative and imaginative ways to motivate
    every learner.

>>>I am learning so much from close contact with the
    daily learning of my 2 small grandchildren. They astonish me with their
    capacity to learn new skills, they have huge ambitions and wonderful
    imaginations. I am terrified that going to school may 'knock this out' of
    them.  Isn't that a terrible fear?

>>>Formerly I was an educator in
    mainstream and special schools and the mother of a two dyslexic/ dyspraxic
    daughters who the education system, in my opinion 'failed'.

>>>Hope my
    comments help, if only to be
    challenged.

>>>Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 04:26:37
    +0000
>>>From: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: Re: Researching Our Own
    Practice
>>>To: mailto:[log in to unmask]
>>>Dear Aga,
    complex question to a complex issue. For me the crucial aspect is – do the
    recipients take ownership and responsibility for their own learning?
>>>So
    what do we need to consider in the light of this – were they engaged and
    were their views about the “development” process elicited, interrogated,
    etc?  Work from this stance onwards …  more questions could be
    asked.
>>>Lately, I am averse to using the term development as it has such
    staccato links. I am using the term success.
>>>All the
    best
>>>Angela

    development fail?  Please do comment. Your thoughts will provide
    substantial learning
    opportunities.

    subject to our Disclaimer, to view click http://www.dut.ac.za/disclaimer"

>>>________________________________
>>>
>>>"This
    e-mail is subject to our Disclaimer, to view click http://www.dut.ac.za/disclaimer"

>>>--
>>>Dr
    Joan Walton
>>>Faculty of Education
>>>Liverpool Hope University
>>>Hope
    Park
>>>Liverpool
>>>L16 9JD
>>>
>>>Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:waltonj@hope..ac.uk>
>>>

>>>[http://www.hope..ac.uk/media/liverpoolhope/contentassets/images/slideshow/media,6740,en.jpg]
>>>
>>>www.hope..ac.uk<http://www.hope.ac.uk/>
>>>
>>>Liverpool Hope University
    has

>>>*  92% of students in employment or further study after six
    months of graduation, on average over the last five years
>>>*  Awarded
    61% of graduates a First or 2:1 Honours degree in 2012
>>>*  Entry
    points at an average of 311 in 2012
>>>*  Invested £42 million in
    buildings and equipment over the past five years
>>>*  The best
    retention rate of the nine new universities in the North
    West.

>>>******
>>>
>>>Liverpool Hope University accepts no
    responsibility for this email, its contents and any loss or damage
    arising in any way from the receipt or
>>>use of this email and its
    attachments

>>--