A shame (lack of) proof reading here led to 80% of the digest being messages unnecessarily quoting the whole thread repeatedly.

To clarify my own position, when I use "if" I'm using the 'utopian indicative'; that is to say I was attempting to challenge people's safe assumptions. I don't believe the essay is the gold standard in assessment, nor the situation that "market led" English standards are sufficient for what lecturers are expecting, without additional learning support. In my own case I recall requiring a 6.5 on a new course and being told to lower it to 6.0 or "we won't get internationals…" so I'm well aware of the chasm. I'd argue this applies to home students also.