From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Wells, Julian
Date: 05 August 2013 16:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Translators and Proof Readers

Dear all,

I’ve found Diana’s points really, really useful in thinking about these issues.

This is to just to follow up her response to the point of mine which she discusses; I agree that students may well understand key concepts but lack English skills to discuss them adequately, and to that extent my original comment was ill-founded.

However, if students are to do well, rather than merely pass, they need to be able to show me that they have moved beyond understanding key concepts – to the point where they can apply them independently to new situations, problems, etc.

At UG and taught PG level (but with reservations in respect of dissertations, at either level) I’ve got absolutely no problem with such students getting assistance in formulating their ideas in English – learning to write clearly is learning to think clearly, in my view (and since many if not most international students will be looking to their experience with us to certify their ability to operate professionally in an Anglophone context, they will need to be able to *think* in English as well as speak and write the language).

Best wishes,

Julian