Dear Waymen,

Our team has just started looking into this and has written a couple of
short articles:

Entrepreneurship Driven by Design

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soren-petersen/entrepreneurship-driven-b_b_3341482.html

The Future of Industrial Design

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soren-petersen/the-future-of-industrial_b_2063009.html

Good luck with your project.

Yours sincerely,

Soren

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Waymen Yu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello Design Professors and Scholars,
> I am an international student, Waymen Yu in a graduate program in the
> Industrial School of Design at Carleton University in Canada now. Before I
> start my thesis study and make it to be more specific, I want to inquire
> some advice and suggestions from you. Personally, I have a strong intrigue
> on entrepreneurship for designers. One of the reasons is because I had
> tried to step up a small business before I enroll into my current program.
> Unfortunately, it was very successful. Another one is getting an
> inspiration from a book, Design Direct – how to start your own micro brand,
> written by Roger Ball and Heidi Overhill, and it is also a suggestion from
> my supervisor.
>
> The concept from this book is quite general, a course which teach students
> how to set up their own micro brand.  At the same time, I believe this is
> also a new area for design research study or maybe not. I am not sure. That
> is why I wrote this email for inquiry. In fact, I want to inquire for three
> things. First, can this be a case of thesis study? If it is not, what is
> your advice? Second, I want to inquire is there any professor is studying
> in this area, Micro Business for Designers, Design Small Business, or Micro
> Entrepreneurship for Designers? Who are they and their contacts (either in
> China or Canada)? Third, due to the lack of theoretical study, I am baffled
> by how to make a proper topic for my thesis. My question is I am not sure
> should I based on the method in the book of Design Direct then to set up a
> similar method for designers who want to start their enterprises in China
> as my thesis topic or should I narrow to a specific step in the method in
> this book as a thesis topic study like what kind of platform will be an
> appropriated place for designers to sell their products.
>
> I sincerely want to hear your suggestions and opinions. Thanks for your
> attention to read my email and inquiries.

Soren Ingomar Petersen, PhD.

ingomar & ingomar consulting

Los Angeles, Copenhagen

Office: +1 626 441 4862