Mark: You said: “…I didn't spend 6 years at design school for a sociologist or historian to come along and call themselves a designer.”
Here you are touching on important and not new issues of the open marketplace more so than of this closed list.
I would certainly encourage you to join those of us who do engage in the many, many open marketplace discussions in addition to those taking place internally here. I am sure you must be aware that many open marketplace discussion groups now exist and what goes on there often has important ramifications for your statement.
The future of practice depends much more so on those external conversations, some might call them necessary battles, than anything going on internally here.
Someone should be honest with you….The argument that is implied by your statement has already been lost over the course of the last ten years. I certainly encourage educators to be more up front and honest with students about that loss. You might personally revisit it but you would be fighting an uphill battle at this point.
The everyone-is-a designer wave is now deeply entrenched across many fields of practice. There has been little coherent defense mounted and or presented externally in the open marketplace by the design education community. Missing-in-action is an often-used description of what went down.
As a practitioner who just invested 6 years at a design school you will now find yourself to be on your on when it comes to engaging outside this list on such issues.
The design education leadership community has mounted no unified strategy for addressing the very issue that you raise in your comments and that has been the case for at least ten years.
I would be happy to talk with you more off list.

GK VanPatter
Co-Founder

Humantific
SenseMaking for ChangeMaking