Jude,

The big question of independence is independent of what? If being subservient to financial masters prevents free thought, does having independent means allow you to think freely about the problems of some people having independent means while the rest of the world cannot?

Back in about 1975, I was part of a group of people talking to jazz guitarist Joe Pass. Pass was saying that a good musician should be able to play anything he could think. Someone asked him if he could play anything he could think or if he could only think what he could play. Pass clearly thought it was college boy sophistry.

I didn't bother mentioning that he could think but couldn't play a note four octaves below middle C or that I played pedal steel so could play a chord, bend two notes up, then seamlessly slide up a fifth, ending up in an inversion of the first chord; I was reasonably certain that he couldn't do that but the fact that everyone who played steel could meant that it was thinkable.

Joe Pass was a great guitarist but was limited to what you can do with a guitar. Fred Hayek's thoughts were limited by his circumstances, too and would have been no matter what his circumstances were. As you indicated by positing his reaction to an end of private property, he couldn't suddenly turn his guitar into a trombone.

But it's also not clear that Hayek could be fully captured by his own circumstances (or his own view of his own circumstances):
http://www.thenation.com/article/163672/charles-koch-friedrich-hayek-use-social-security#

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University