as with most jobs where a degree of operational fitness is required (police, fire, prison staff) the old notion of a "desk job" is fast becoming a rarity as these posts are filled by "civvies". However I do remember a case in Scotland where a firefighter who kept failing his fitness test because of obesity, and was given time to improve fitness/lose weight, never quite applied himself and got the push after about 12 months of being no operational won his ET for unfair dismissal

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [OCC-HEALTH] Police fitness tests
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 19:18:21 +0100

....cant do the job then....when will they learn.....

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 18:53:57 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Police fitness tests
To: [log in to unmask]

Brace yourselves , those that offer services to Police forces. With the introduction of compulsory fitness testing I have received the  first referral where the issue is "says they cannot do fitness test because of their health"
No details of health issue or what part of the test they felt they could not do, or if there were any accommodations in  place etc...
I think we may have to do some training with managers...
Cheers
Diane
Diane Romano-Woodward
RN  RSCPHN-OH  BSc   M Med Sc.(Occ Health)
Sunny Blue Sky Limited
Company Number  06865212

******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html