Hi, not sure if you've read this,... it's healthcare based but still has some good points...

http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/Flu_clinicalevidence2013.pdf

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:05:25 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Flu vaccination benefits (or not)
To: [log in to unmask]

In these days of shrinking budgets I have been asked by a client to comment on what demonstrable benefits there are to continuing to offer flu jabs to staff. This is not within a health care setting by the way. My personal opinion is that the money they spend on this exercise might be better diverted to other things eg funding functional capacity assessments with a physio for MSD/ergonomic issues (of which there are many), and those that "need" the jabs eg high risk groups should and will be covered by GPs.

It will doubtless be an unpopular move if they stop offering flu jabs. Before my time they moved away from OH doing them (hurrah!) and went to a voucher system that was  under subscribed with a fair bit of unused vouchers at the end of flu season, main reason being that individuals werent that bothered if the service wasnt offered on site.  With current staffing levels in OH I am reluctant to take this on, and also think its a bit late in the day to start thinking about doing them because of potential problems with supply. My own experience with a previous employer was that take up was only between 10-13% of employee population and there was no real reduction in stats on sickness absence for flu (and this is even including people who cite flu for 1 day absences irrespective of the fact that it was more likely a bad cold)

I have looked in all normal places, HPA, Jisc archives etc - lots of studies/reports stating value of the jabs in specific settings, (eg NHS)  or from the manufacturers where I`m not convinced of an unbiased view.

Anyone aware of any studies that present some stats on what perceived, but preferably measured value there is in offering this service eg reduction in absence?
******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html