I think PDA may be the wrong term (at least for public libraries). Tim Coates used the term ‘Demand Driven *Access*’ –this takes away the ‘acquisition’ idea. A library doesn’t need to own an ebook to provide users with access to it. There is a spectrum of different kinds of libraries. For some ‘ownership’ (and therefore acquisition) will be very important-one thinks of national libraries or perhaps some major academic research libraries. Others (and probably public libraries fit here) will be more about access.

There are two useful presentations on the  (Jisc project)  ‘Challenge of ebooks’ website (http://ebookchallenge.org.uk/. Although the focus is academic libraries you may find the presentation useful in unpicking the issues. (They are on the ‘case study’ page under ‘curation’ heading. Direct links to the presentations are provided below):-

Ebooks: build or access?

http://ebookchallenge.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Curation_ebooks_Polanka_Sept2012_for_JISC.pdf

Sue Polanka (US ebooks ‘guru’- runs the ‘no shelf required blog’) looks at the tension and trade-offs between building  a collection (acquire ebooks) and providing  access. It looks graphically at the issues and challenges around ‘fully curating’ as opposed to just providing access. She comments:

“When librarians ask me for advice about purchasing eBooks I always ask them what their goals are. For example, do they want to build a comprehensive research collection or would they rather pay for access. Some libraries prefer to build, others would rather spend their money by accessing more content for shorter periods of time, and others will want some combination of the two”.

Patron Driven ebooks

http://ebookchallenge.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/patron-driven_e-books_RHUL_Anna_Grigson_Sept2012.pdf

The example from  Royal Holloway, University of London is presented as a PDF version of a presentation by Anna Grigson (at the 2012 National Acquisitions Group -NAG- conference).

Hope this helps.

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email: [log in to unmask]  www.kenchadconsulting.com