Hi Anita,
I don't have any written guidance but I would suggest taking a look at other library services and how they are using social media. Here are a few that I think do it well:

Manchester Library Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/manchesterlibraries << that's us!
Topeka and Shawnee https://www.facebook.com/TopekaLibrary?fref=ts
Sandwell Libraries https://www.facebook.com/SandwellLibraries?hc_location=stream
Orkney Library (The gold standard of library Twitter accounts!): http://www.twitter.com/orkneylibrary Facebook https://www.facebook.com/orkneylibraryandarchive?fref=ts
Edinburgh Libraries https://twitter.com/TalesOfOneCity
Coventry City Council's Facebook page is really impressive in terms of user engagement

I also find  www.comms2point0.co.uk a really useful resource for social media advice and guidance when working in a local authority.

Your content needs too catch the attention of your audience so it can be shared - if it's not being liked or retweeted or shared, it's likely it's not being seen. In Manchester we post about library events, Manchester news and external links related to books, local history, archives, reading, libraries, Manchester history. We don't just post about the library. On Facebook we use a lot of visual content as images and videos tend to be shared more than plain links.

We post once a day on Facebook and I try to post about three times a day on Twitter plus we answer customer enquiries and comments via Twitter and Facebook. We also post to Google+ and we blog once or twice a week. Posting out of office hours is worth doing too - so posting on a Saturday morning on Sunday evening can get your content more visibility. We use Hootsuite to schedule posts on Twitter and G+ but I post directly to Facebook as content posted through third party software isn't as visible as content posted directly to the sites.

Looking at our Facebook insights the top 5 most popular posts this month were:

Internet meme 'Batman Returns (his librarybooks)' with 46 likes and 19 shares.
Bookshelfie Tumblr - link + photo
Graphic novel short story competiton - link + poster
Archives+ old wartime resipe book - photo, link to Flickr
How to join the library - text and link to library blog

I find content through Feedly, Twitter, pinboard.in and I recycle local news and press releases, event notices and regularly link to the library online reference resources and ebook download service.

Hope that's useful.

Sue Lawson
Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives
Manchester City Council
Floor 1 Town Hall Extension
Albert Square
Po Box 532
M60 2LA
0161 234 1938

Keep in touch with Manchester Libraries on
Facebook and Twitter

Anita Timperon <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>

27/08/2013 12:14
Please respond to
Anita Timperon <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Guidance For Staff - Posting on Social Media

Dear All,

Does anyone have written guidance they could share with us on posting to social media?

We are looking for guidance that assists staff in deciding on the appropriateness of content, in terms of news worthiness, frequency of posts etc.  Something that covers practical issues rather than a social media policy.

Kind regards

Anita

Anita Timperon
Customer Services Officer | Cumbria County Council |
Carlisle Library | 11 Globe Lane | Carlisle | Cumbria l CA3 8NX

t: 01228 227328

e: [log in to unmask]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. The full text of the Council's email disclaimer is available at http://www.manchester.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer.

Please contact [log in to unmask] with any queries.