Many thanks to all those who responded regarding External Broadband supply within the Library. The information has proven extremely useful and we seen to be proceeding at pace, however experience suggests a brick wall is around the corner! The responses I have received are as follows which I have anonymised, however if anyone wishes more details from the individual responses received below let me know ;

“We have a BT Business broadband line coming in through the back wall (i.e. not via Trust telephone network). About 25.00 per month I think. Network ID and password up on noticeboard, and we just let them get on with it. Since the Trust relaxed the restrictions to allow YouTube, FaceBook and Twitter it's a bit superfluous, but I think it provides some cover for any governance issues around our clinical network when allowing public in to access Internet.

Not all that much usage, as far as we can tell, but it helps out some laptop users (no access to clinical network unless a Trust-issued device). And we get our comms team in occasionally to see what the web site looks like 'from outside'. Not aware of any other cost implications really, BT provide a wireless hub which covers the library quite adequately - I think I was a 2-year contract to start with - the hard part was making the payments, as Trust finances kept missing dates and getting us cut off in the first few months (BT are very prompt with unpaid accounts!), until the Education Centre Charity took over the payments.”

“We supply this and are happy to fund it ourselves as this means it is totally library, and not IT. We luckily already had an external phone line so didn't have to pay for that. Our quarterly bill is about £102 but has once gone over that because we downloaded too much. People really seem to appreciate having the service and it brings in all sorts of people who otherwise didn't know we were even here”

I've been thinking about this for a while: a couple of years ago, I looked into pricing and was defeated by the fact that every provider with a plan we could afford insisted on being paid by credit card rather than purchase order, which my Finance department couldn't arrange. Very frustrating! But I'm hoping that things may have moved on the next time I look. I'm also a bit conscious of the amount of extra work that can be involved once you get people's expectations up - our medical education team put in a BT hub in the medical students' accommodation, and every couple of months get deluged by angry students because the broadband's gone down and they need it right now... But, more and more, it gets embarrassing to say we can't provide this service when every cafe and B&B seems to be able to manage it, and I know plenty of libraries do too.”

“Two examples for you as I have two hats until the end of August:

Scenario 1 = The Library is in an Education Centre and medical funds were used to install a BT hub which the Library piggy backs onto so all we needed was a hub in the Library to boost the signal (and I think IT paid for that – they certainly advised and installed it for us); no ongoing costs for The Library but the original BT hub is very unreliable and often needs a physical visit to the classroom it sits in to be switched off and on again

Scenario 2 = The Library has access to funds from which a direct debit can be set up and has a hub via TalkTalk which costs £15.50 a month and whatever the set up costs were (can’t remember off hand as I didn’t set it up); the telecoms man at this Trust deals with any problems but these are few and far between; it supports three broadband PCs and wireless access in three rooms

I wouldn’t be without it at either site as it means whatever draconian restrictions IT wish to implement we have a work round and users love bringing their own devices and hooking up to it.”

although my answer is not probably useful to you because i am in Canada I would still like to comment.  I provided access a few years ago - funded through the sale of donated used books at $1 each.  We have 4 terminals that have external access .  These are thin client - dumb terminals with minimal capacity except for internet and basic word processing.  I provide no printer. A standard free web blocker is on each machine to prevent most downloads of porn.I think its net nanny.  Antivirus programs are also in place.     All files except operating files  are automatically cleared at midnight to prevent problems or overwhelming the machines with private downloads

Costs for me have been under $ 300 for router, $400 for each computer, and monthly access fees of about $ 75   IT time to install was provided by the hospital. I can assume equipments cost in UK would be comparable but have no idea of your access fees. Costs were surprisingly low if you go with standard over the counter routers and computers.  Your IT department will try to bully you into "commercial grade" equipment but it seems to break down just a s fast as ordinary equipment and cost so much more.

I can honestly say this was probably the most important thing i have ever done for public relations. It showed the library was client centred. Staff love it and use it every day  As I am also open to patients and families I almost serve as a business centre - A Fax machine is available as well for cost - some documents still need to be faxed

We provide access service to electronically pay bills, contact relatives, check social networking and do preliminary medical or general internet look ups.  I will always ask if there is any particular information people are looking for and help direct searches if required or requested.

Good luck with your project should you decide   But I think it gives the library a "hip" image  and by use of THAT word I am really dating myself !!!!!  As I  said probably the best draw for new patrons to the library for a long time.  It has accomplished what newsletters, book displays, new book lists etc. have never accomplished.”

Regards

David Law

Library Services Manager/Chair – Base Library Managers Group

Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust

Tel: 01902 695322

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your co-operation.