Good afternoon,
Thank you very much to everyone who participated in the Shelf-tidying Survey that ran through July.
There was a surprising amount of interest with 48 institutions responding. As expected, the answers showed a great deal of variety in current practice.
I have uploaded a more detailed breakdown to the 'Files Area' of the LIS-LINK Home Page but have tried to summarise the key points below for those with a passing interest:

Items in collection

Total hours spent shelf-tidying the collection each week

<100,000 items

19

100,000 - 200,000 items

18

200,000 - 300,000 items

66

300,000 - 400,000 items

25

400,000 - 500,000 items

77

500,000 - 600,000 items

48

700,000 - 800,000 items

75

>1,000,000 items

85

The answers from questions 4&5 were used to construct this table. The 8 libraries that do not shelf-tidy or shelf-tidy on an ad hoc basis were not included when calculating these averages. Because of this (and because of the amount of variation in the libraries that do shelf-tidy), the above figures may be potentially misleading - I would encourage anyone who wishes to benchmark against these to look at the more in depth spreadsheet in the Files Area:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/lis-link/Copy_of_Shelf-tidying_spreadsheet.xlsx

The two most popular strategies for shelf-tidying were giving staff responsibility for a particular area (16 libraries) and instructing staff to move through the stacks sequentially until a full circuit is completed (14 libraries).
Details of the other responses can be found in the corresponding document in the Files Area:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/lis-link/shelf-tidying_responses.docx

I hope that is of some interest/use, it has been for us.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to send me an email.
Again, thank you to everyone who participated.
Best wishes,
Antony
Antony Groves
Membership Supervisor