Dear all,

Our Lost Libraries walking tour on the 20th of September sold out very quickly so we are running it the following week. These are the details:

Friday 27 September 18:00 – 20:00

Meeting point: Gray’s Inn Library, 5 South Square, High Holborn, London WC1R 5ET

Tube: Chancery Lane/Holborn

Twenty-first century London contains some of the finest book collections in the world, but what about the libraries that haven’t survived? If you know where to look, London’s streets and alleyways are crammed with the ghosts of libraries past. This walk will carry you back through London’s history, to long-forgotten libraries, readers, librarians and collectors. In the company of Alice Ford-Smith, Lost Libraries uncovers some of the links between London’s past and present book collections. From Bloomsbury to the City, you will hear tales of enterprise, transformation, obsession and destruction. Gray’s Inn Library can be found through a narrow archway, between Rymans the stationers and the Cittie of York pub, on High Highborn. After a brief look around the Library, we will set out at 6.15pm. The walk ends at approximately 8pm a few paces away from St Paul’s underground station. Please be ready for occasional steps, and no breaks!

Numbers are limited to 25 people, and pre-booking is essential. Tickets, which are non-refundable, are £10 each. To reserve, contact Renae Satterley by email, [log in to unmask]. This event is open to all, so early booking is recommended.