Hi

At Bucks New University, we recommend that students use an add-on for Word that provides them with a bespoke version of Harvard referencing exactly as we do it at Bucks as part of Word’s built in ‘bibliography and citation’ tool (available since Word 2007 under the References tab, though annoyingly without a ready-made Harvard option).

This add-on was created by the Learning Development Unit at Bucks using an XSL stylesheet template provided free by the open source BibWord project: http://bibword.codeplex.com/ and is now available on all of the university’s pooled computers and can be freely downloaded and installed by staff and students for use on their own machines.

The Word tool is not as powerful as commercially available tools such as EndNote or other free tools such as Zotero, but it does handle the mechanical aspects of in-text and end of text referencing very effectively and we have found that it is entirely sufficient for most of our undergraduates’ and many of our postgraduates’ needs. It is also free.

The template is easy to use and edit by anyone with some understanding of HTML or XML coding and allows for the inclusion of all of those fiddly details of an institution’s idiosyncratic take on Harvard (was ever a standard referencing style so non-standard?). We’ve found it very useful indeed and students love it.

I’d be happy to discuss this further with anyone who is interested in finding out more about how to create the stylesheets and what-not.

Best wishes

John

John Knight

Learning Development Unit