Although I accept that the beginnings and endings of archaeological periods are (and always have been) fuzzy. I'm with Mike on this.

It's always best to try to avoid confusion on the behalf of members of the public.

Chris

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Shaw
Sent: 14 August 2013 12:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Period LUT

Sarah,

I don't agree with this I'm afraid.  I'm sure we all recognise that one particular period did not end and a new one start at a particular date.  However the overlapping of periods on Heritage Gateway causes unnecessary problems which could be easily resolved without need for an awkward work around by searching on AD409 rather than AD410 etc.  Martin Newman's e-mail seemed to suggest that DSU had accepted this so Heritage Gateway and DSU would seem to be out of step on this.  I think that this is an important point which should be discussed more widely than on HBSMR Users so I have copied in HER Forum also to give all HER Officers an opportunity to comment.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Shaw
Archaeologist, Education & Enterprise