Mike,

I agree entirely, it’s always vital to understand the limitations of a source and the vagaries of its creation.  It’s one of issue that is very apparent looking at the OS 2” drawings; although at least some of the information included/excluded appears to be a matter of OS policy, other inclusions appear at the whim of the individual surveyor.  Looking at those across Leicestershire and Rutland, as you go progressively westward the maps include less and less information, a process that also correlated with their date of survey, in Rutland field boundaries appear to be pretty accurately surveyed, in the core of the Leicestershire, they are at best indicative of areas of enclosure, while to the west they aren’t shown at all …I guess that’s more to do with policy though.

Sorry, don’t have the earlier edition, so I’ve no idea.  Definitely an excellent map-geek book though, if you like that kind of thing!

Richard

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Shaw
Sent: 02 August 2013 14:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Blacksmiths Workshops 'Smithy'

I guess we’re back to the old adage about absence of evidence not being evidence of absence…where a smithy is marked you would hope that you could take this as evidence of presence – although there may be the odd error - but presumably there are many smithies which were present but are not marked, especially in crowded urban areas, whether because the surveyor didn’t bother, or they were unrecognised, or they cluttered up the map, which would explain why some appear on the 1:500 plans but not the larger scale maps.

Incidentally my version of Richard Oliver is the 1st edn of 1993 – Richard - is the 2005 version much revised?

Regards,

Mike

Mike Shaw

Archaeologist, Education & Enterprise