Matt

More relevant for your purposes than "Matlab recipes for earth sciences" would be the book by Allmendinger et al,

Structural Geology Algorithms - Vectors and Tensors

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/earth-and-environmental-science/structural-geology-tectonics-and-geodynamics/structural-geology-algorithms-vectors-and-tensors

which I found extremely instructive.

The authors use Matlab (and present a number of scripts) but I guess you could "convert" to Octave. Look also at the scripts on Nestor Cardozo's homepage if you are a Mac user: http://www.ux.uis.no/~nestor/home.html

cheers Karen