From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Mark Jenkinson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Possible to change arrangement of slices in FSL?

Hi,

I now have a better understand of this problem.  These images will be really, really difficult to register accurately because your through-slice voxel dimension is **ten times** the size of your in-plane voxel dimensions, which is an absolutely massive anisotropy, and you loose almost all useful detail in the through-slice direction.  Therefore I doubt there is a registration solution that will work here with images like these.  I would strongly advise you to try and get less anisotropic images in the future.

For the moment you are probably best off trying to do things manually wrt the slice start and end positions, as I think you already started to do.  You can use fslroi to crop images and fslmerge to reassemble slices, if necessary.  Alternatively, you can try the Nudge tool to manually put things into a closer alignment.

Sorry I don't have better news, but I just don't think that the quality of these images is sufficient for any accurate registration.
All the best,
        Mark