totally agree with Mark.

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Mark Jenkinson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 3:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Changing image dimensions (fslroi?)

Hi,

I've got no idea how you ended up with that original file as it is weird!
It contains both a non-binary brain (at the top) and a binary mask (at the bottom).
Try turning the colourscale to Red-Yellow in FSLView (viewing the original nodif_brain) to see this.

So if you use fslroi to extract the bottom half of the image then you get (correctly) a binarised brain mask as that is what is contained in the bottom half of the original image.  If you use fslroi to extract the top half, then you get a non-binary image.
That is:
   fslroi nodif_brain.nii brain0 0 128 0 128 0 64
   fslroi nodif_brain.nii brain1 0 128 0 128 64 64
where brain0 is the bottom half (binary image) and brain1 is the top half (non-binary image).

This explains what is going on with fslroi, but not why you have such a weird image to start with.

All the best,
        Mark

On 9 Aug 2013, at 07:54, Jochem Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>
> Thanks for your assistance. I've uploaded the file.
>
> 1. the file is a binary 0/1 files (also in fslview intensities)
> 2. changing the range of view doesn't change this.
>
> Hope you can figure out the problem (and solution)!
>
> regards,
> Jochem

Kessler Foundation is proud to be recognized as one of the Best Places to Work in New Jersey.

The information in this transmission is intended for official use of the Kessler Foundation.  It is intended for the exclusive use of the persons or entities to which it is addressed.  If you are not an intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this transmission to an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or the use of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the material from any computer.