My experience is that the tractography results are dramatically different
(worse) with 12x5 data vs 60x1 data.

Peace,

Matt.

From:  Colin Reveley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Saturday, August 3, 2013 6:59 PM
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: [FSL] The minimal required number of diffusion direction for
tractrography study

off the top of my head I'd start here

http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/26/suppl_1/S205.short

and look at what cites it.

I believe there are still special circumstances (like getting very high
spatial resolution very rapidly for e.g. comparison to susceptibility
weighted maps at high field) in which 12 directions might be used. Maybe
those people talk about it.

It's atypical and/or well before my time.

I doubt tractography is defensible. But if I was trying it my first idea
would be to leverage the numex=6, and how repeatable the tracking is which
actually would be well covered by behrens 2003 on the FSL wiki.

best,

Colin