Hi Linda and colleagues

I'm not sure if it was my work you had picked up on or someone else's but I've been talking recently about using a simple technique which I developed out of my research with women learners who use a range of languages with their families, and from realising at work that I don't really know what learners use and when; and more importantly, what impact this has on them and their relationship with learning English.  I started mapping to learn more about family language practices, but you can develop this as a class activity around what languages are used in the local area, for example.

So the idea is simple - you get people to take a blank piece of paper - A4 usually - and write their name in the middle, draw a circle around it. Then they draw in everyone they live with. (If this is really small and they have significant others nearby, put them in). Good to model this yourself on whiteboard. Caution re those who don't want to say who they live with- may be tricky for your LGBT learners or others who prefer to remain private.

Then they draw an arrow to each person and write alongside the language used. There is usually more than one. then add in the % each one is used. So someone may speak 90% Spanish and 10% English with their daughter.

The next step is to draw in the return arrows. So the daughter may use 80% English and 20% Spanish for example.

However this goes, there is plenty of material for use on an individual level or with a group. Obviously this should be used sensitively as producing a graphic like this can bring into the open some uncomfortable issues (which is what my research showed about the painful gaps emerging within families)  - but it's incredibly helpful for tutors to have a more nuanced picture of what is happening with learners.

If this feels too personal, learners may find they can do a joint map to show what languages are spoken by them on the street, at home, in church or whatever and this could be overlaid on a large scale local map.

Just need to make sure that everyone gets the idea of percentages as this is the bit that tells you what's really being used. Otherwise fine for pre-entry people.

for more info/ to see how a map works, please email me and I'd love to hear from anyone who's trying them out

good luck!

Sheila Macdonald