Hi Derek,

I have been working with diffusion over 2 years in developing new
techniques for diffusion MRI, and the major challenge that I see
is definitely relating the water diffusion with features of tissue
microstructure. Diffusion MRI is a complex inverse problem. Different
tissue configurations can origin the same diffusion parameters.
Furthermore, some features of water diffusion cannot be directly related to
microstructural features. Only to mentioned a small example, simulations
have shown deviations between the ODF maximums and the actual fibre
direction (Zhan and Yang, 2006). Image noise and artefact can also
originate bias on diffusion estimates (as you had shown is several studies
in the last years). Moreover, another factor that increases the complexity
of relating diffusion metrics with microstructural features is the
resolution limit of current MRI scanners. Another important challenge is to
develop techniques for mining and relating the relevant diffusion MRI
advances. Since work on diffusion MRI is increasing exponentially, finding
relevant background for our studies is being harder and harder.

As futures directions I see advances in giving diffusion metrics an
biological interpretation by exploring newly developed biological models
(e.g. Nilsson et al. 2013). Diffusion studies using high resolution schemes
(e.g. Dell'Aqua et al. 2013) can also reveal new insights of
microstructures that could be useful to define prior knowledge to solve the
inverse problem of diffusion MRI and to correct some bias on diffusion
estimates.  These two mentioned advances can also be useful to derive new
metrics that will be more robust biomarkers for tissue changes (on
maturation and degeneration processes). These metrics could also be used to
improve tractography techniques. Tractography might also be improved by
debugging it using newly developed phantoms, histological data and other
techniques as 3D polarized light imaging and CLARITY. Development of new
MRI sequences will also be important to bring the more advanced diffusion
techniques to protocols that could be used in clinical applications.
 Finally, applying techniques of bioinformatic to relate the current
knowledge about diffusion MRI and make predictions about diffusion changes
on maturation, ageing and pathological conditions will be useful.

I hope that I was useful.
Best Regards,
Rafael Henriques