Agreeing with Paul's response just now...and also, by continuing to provide therapy, when in fact many of these problems need to be addressed by government and society, it serves to continue the illusion/lie that people need to change the way they think, so we are propping up that lie.
Robert Newman (the comedian formerly of Newman and Baddiel) said it really well, via a character in his excellent book, The Fountain at the Centre of the World: 'It's easier and less costly to change the way people think about reality, than to change reality'. That says it perfectly as far as I'm concerned.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Nicky Hartigan
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 6:15 PM
  Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Politically neutral BBC as always...

  But surely any psychologist or CBT practitioner is working with people to challenge the assumptions they may be making about having been made unemployed (ie "I've lost my job therefore I am useless") and is certainly not working to suggest that unemployment is not a problem which needs to be addressed by the government and society?

  Sent from my iPhone