The absorbance is due to imidazole, for sure.
We do a lot of this type of purification in my lab and we
have definitely had some low abundance proteins hide under the imidazole
gradient.
Here is how we deal with it.
We expect the proteins to elute around 100-350 mM imidazole, so we run
SDS-PAGE on every other fraction in that area
to detect the protein.
We do 3-5 clarified lysate loads and low imidazole washes to increase the
amount of our desired protein on the column before
we start the imidazole gradient.
Always have a few CV of baseline absorbance before you start the gradient.
That's all I know, G