Hi,

We have experienced similar problems and did some analysis. Here are the results:

Test of several Imidazole solutions for absorbance at 280 nm. The solutions have been prepared from the powders purchased from different suppliers.

Here is the data:

Wavelength

2 M Stock solution
(unbuffered in MQ water)

250 mM solution
 in MQ water

VWR/PROLABO

260 nm

1.249

0.141

VWR/PROLABO

280 nm

1.628

0.192

VWR/PROLABO

320 nm

1.259

0.139

VWR/MERK

260 nm

0.060

0.010

VWR/MERK

280 nm

0.049

0.002

VWR/MERK

320 nm

0.028

0.002

Opened Sigma

260 nm

1.386

0.158

Opened Sigma

280 nm

1.545

0.178

Opened Sigma

320 nm

0.931

0.104

Unopened Sigma

260 nm

2.277

0.276

Unopened Sigma

280 nm

2.734

0.327

Unopened Sigma

320 nm

1.258

0.147

Hope it would help to other people as well ,

Kostya

--
Konstantin (Kostya) Kogan
Postdoc fellow