[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Dear James,
> thank you very much for this answer. I had also been wondering about it. To clearify it for myself, and maybe for a few other bulletin board readers, I reworked the Bragg formula to:
>
> sin(theta) = n*Lamda / 2*d
>
> which means that if we take n=2, for the same sin(theta) d becomes twice as big as well, which means that we describe interference with a wave from a second layer of the same stack of planes, which means that we are still looking at the same structure factor.
>
> Best,
> Herman

This is how I see it as well- if you do a Bragg-law construct with two periods of d and consider the second order
diffraction from the double layer, and compare it to the single-layer case you will see it is the same wave traveling
the same path with the same phase  at each point. When you integrate rho(r) dot S dr, the complex exponential will have
a factor of 2 because it is second order, so the spatial frequency is the same. (I haven't actually shown this, being a
math-challenged biologist, but put it on my list of things to do).
  So we could calculate the structure factor as either first order diffraction from the conventional d or second order
diffraction from spacing of 2d and get the same result. by convention we use first order diffraction only.
(same would hold for 3'd order diffraction from 3 layers etc.)

monic" of Si(111).  They are different reciprocal lattice points and each has its own structure factor.  It is only the undulator that has "harmonics".