Tim,

PDB file format is good because of its simplicity and that's perhaps it.
However, it cannot accommodate wealth of information that is available at
the end of refinement. Of course one can keep creating remarks for PDB file
etc but I guess mmCIF is just a better way of doing it rather than uglify
existing PDB format by countless decorators.

Editing (for example, PDB files) by hand is a questionable practice. If you
know programming use either existing reliable parsers (available for both,
PDB and CIF) or write your own jiffy.

phenix.refine and surrounding tools can input and output both, PDB and
mmCIF (both, model and reflections).

Pavel