Conceptual poetry practitioners may very well know the Art & Language group. I think all it takes is a subtle shift in emphasis to color the general environment of any art form. With the predominant conceptual art form being visual and performative in the US, its verbal component would be less acknowledged.

Another example might be the Surrealists. In the US this is thought of as a visual art movement, while in fact it was a verbal art movement to begin with, with heated discussions on whether it was even possible for the movement's tenets to be used in visual art. Because French is not the predominant language in the US, the verbal aspect of Surrealism was almost completely lost in its transAtlantic migration.

What is it about those 3,000 miles of ocean?

Hope I'm not repeating the obvious...

Jaime