Thanks Tim for comments.

I had a spasm of doubt about parataxis after reading this. The OED was no help  - nor was Lennard’s Poetry Handbook.

I take your point about the reliance on narrative strings and conventional syntax, but there is an effect of parataxis in lines like the following (from the same poem):

we see an elephant killing a stag beetle

by letting hot tears fall onto the small of its back

we see a large cocoa-tin full of shapeless lumps of wax

there is a horrible dentist walking out of a ship’s funnel

and leaving behind him footsteps which make noises

DG’s translation of Breton includes the following:

The wolves are clothed in mirrors of snow

I have a boat detached from all climates

I am dragged along by an ice-pack with teeth of flame

I cut and cleave the wood of this tree that will always be green

A musician is caught up in the strings of his instrument

DG’s translation of a poem by Char begins:

The melancholy of illiterates

The imperceptible disquiet of cartwrights

Pieces of money in the slender vase.

Are all three examples parataxis?

Someone mentioned Lee Harwood in an earlier posting. There are elements of surrealism in Roy Fisher, and Paul Brown has worked productively in this vein.

Robert