All

Are we such a ‘throw away‘ society and do not value people, who gained skills and diploma earlier?

The answer is yes of course we are. Every couple of months this issue is raised again and again through [log in to unmask] because this is one of the few widely read, unmediated forums for archivists.* The truth is there are too many people admitted to the archives schools. This has led to wages being depressed. The last time this was raised with any great vigour three years ago on this forum, it led to the creation of the Section for New Professionals within the ARA. The SNfP have done many great things but they have not alleviated the dire job situation for new archivists.

The solutions really are simple and there already is a decent (albeit compromised) lobbying and public affairs body in the ARA to campaign for them.

  1. Decide on a set number of students to be admitted to the archive schools each year. Any archives school that admits more than their quota should lose their accreditation.
  2. Legally define and protect the term ‘archivist’. Define the term to mean someone  who has a recognised qualification from one of the archive schools.
  3. Legally require all organisations subject to Section 46 - Freedom of Information Act to employ an archivist.
  4. The ICO should produce guidelines strongly advising the retention of a qualified archivist in the role of an organisations designated Data Protection Officer.

The truth is that there is only one defence against market forces and that is rigid professionalisation.

Best wishes

Craig Alexander Moore

*It is mediated to a certain extent by custom. Any moment now someone will complain “Haven’t we heard enough from the ghastly unemployed and struggling by now?”

PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.
It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not read, copy, distribute, discuss or take any action in reliance upon it.
If you have received this information in error, please destroy it and inform me on +44(0) 20 72420082 as soon as possible. Thank you.

This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.