I have also found this an interesting and stimulating debate but I think this highlights that there are 3 types of issues.

1 An Intern role where an actual role or job is being offered for no pay and "volunteers" need professional skills to be able to do the unpaid "job".

2 Someone volunteering out of interest in the field or [for example] the actual depositor of material offering to catalogue or help catalogue their material - indeed such an individual may then go on to want to help a Record Office with other projects

3 Someone wishing to gain work experience in a possible field of employment and being given on a short term basis a chance to experience the relevant work environment before committing to more studies

Personally I have no objection to 2 or 3 but have definite qualms about the first category. I also do not thing category 2 or 3  will be affected by any legislation relating to internship.

Regards

David Bridge

Freedom of Information Act Contact Officer| Swyddog Cyswllt y Ddeddf Rhyddid Gwybodaeth

Data Protection Officer|Swyddog Diogelu Data

Records Manager | Rheolwr Cofnodion
Records Management
| Rheolaeth Cofnodion
Lifelong Learning